The wide basin at Linlithgow was built to allow boats to pass, turn and moor. Shipments from local farms would have been loaded up and coals offloaded for this busy burgh. This was also one of three places on the canal for the payment and collection of dues for trade on the canal. The canal company had to pay duties on goods carried to Linlithgow and Edinburgh because the canal took trade away from the turnpike roads maintained by the their councils.
The Tea Room and Canal Museum are in the original cottage and stables for the canal basin which were built just after 1820. There were very few buildings built with the canal. In 1840s there are records showing canal labourers and their families living in the cottage. The stabling here and a larger stable to the west at Woodcockdale serviced the canal's horse power.
Jim Lonie talks about the stables at Manse Basin:
Barbara Braithwaite talks about skating on the canal:
Barbara Braithwaite talks about a surprise party: